- 1 5 Best Handheld GPS for Elk Hunting In 2020
- 1.1 Garmin GPS for Elk Hunting ( GPSMAP 64st )
- 1.2 Garmin ETrex 20: The best GPS for Hunting
- 1.3 Elk Hunting GPS By DeLorme (InReach Explorer): Editor’s Pick
- 1.4 Handheld Hunting GPS (Garmin Oregon 650t)
- 1.5 Handheld GPS (Garmin Inreach Explorer+)
- 1.6 Conclusion
- 1.7 Why Do You need a Gps for hunting?
- 1.8 Things to keep in mind while buying an Elk Hunting Gps
Are you looking for Best handheld GPS for elk hunting? You have stepped into the right place. Here you will get detailed information about the best hunting GPS available on the market in 2020. So before jumping towards the list of some best products, you need to know that how handheld GPS helps you in your hunting. Different hunting equipment like Scopes, binoculars, hunting boots, Rifle Sights, clothes, and handheld hunting GPS help you to take your hunting to the next level and make you more successful. Hunting GPS not only saves you from getting lost in the jungle but also provides you right spot to hunt.
What are the things to keep in mind while buying the best handheld GPS for elk hunting? Read GPS Buying Guide
5 Best Handheld GPS for Elk Hunting In 2020
Garmin GPS for Elk Hunting ( GPSMAP 64st )
Garmin manufacturers are in the market from many years now. Some of their main products are automotive, sports and fitness and Marine GPS devices. Their recent slogan is “every day is an opportunity to innovate, and a chance to beat yesterday” and they are doing very well. Here we have chosen Garmin GPSMAP 64st the best handheld gps for elk hunting to review.
The 2.6-inch color screen of GPSMAP 64st is easily readable even in sunlight. It has loaded TOPO U.S. maps with a one year Birdseye Satellite subscription and access to both GLONASS and GPS system. It allows you to share your information to another Garmin handheld GPS. The GPSMAP 64st has the ability to receive texts, emails, and alerts from your iPhone wirelessly.
Its compact, slim and lightweight design allows you to keep it in your pocket. It has an 8 GB of internal memory and a microSD card slot to add a microSD card for more space. You can add more maps to your device according to your need. Its live tracking feature allows your loved ones to follow your outdoor adventure in real time.
- Display Size: The Display size is 2.6″ diagonally
- Display Type: Its Display type is color TFT
- Memory: This Device has 8GB Built-in Memory
- Weight: The weight of the device along with batteries is 8.1 oz
- Resolution: Its Display resolution is 160 x 240 pixels
- Waypoints: You can save 5000 waypoints and 200 Routes
- Altimeter and Compass: It has a Barometric altimeter and compass.
- Maps: It has preloaded maps.
- Notification System: It comes with the Smart Notifications system
- Bluetooth: It also has Bluetooth feature
- Tracking Feature: This best handheld gps for elk hunting is equipped with the Live Tracking feature.
Pros and Cons of Garmin GPSMAP 64st
Garmin ETrex 20: The best GPS for Hunting
One of the best handheld GPS for elk hunting available on the market from a top brand. Garmin is an undisputed leader in the market for producing best GPS tracker like Golf GPS Rangefinders, marine GPS devices, and handheld GPS trackers.
ETrex 20 has an easy to use interface, paperless geocaching, and preloaded Worldwide base map. The 2.2 inch, easily readable, color display is able to withstand dirt, dust, and humidity. For faster positioning, and a reliable signal you can use both GLONASS and GPS satellites.
This Garmin handheld GPS is a basic GPS for hunters that provide you with baseline information. Its microSD card slot allows you to add more maps to your handheld device. You can subscribe to the BirdsEye Satellite Imagery that allows you to download satellite images.
- Dimensions: Its Physical dimensions are 2.1 x 4.0 x 1.3 Inches.
- Weight: It has a Weight of 5 oz.
- Memory: The internal memory of the device is 1.7GB with microSD card slot
- Display Size: Its Display size is 2.2″ diagonally.
- Display Type: The Display type is 65-K color TFT
- Waterproof: It is rain and splashes proof.
- Waypoints: 2000 waypoints and 200 Routes can be saved.
Pros and Cons of Garmin ETrex 20
Elk Hunting GPS By DeLorme (InReach Explorer): Editor’s Pick
DeLorme is now a Garmin brand. This DeLorme handheld Gps tracker is able to send and receive text messages because this device is both a GPS and a two-way communicator. You can communicate with your family and friends by email or text messages. Moreover, the SOS feature of this GPS tracker helps you to communicate with rescue monitoring center in an emergency.
It uses the Iridium satellite network which gives 100 percent coverage without gaps in the signal. It has a built-in digital compass, barometric altimeter, and accelerometer. You can share your journey information like planned route, actual tracks, and waypoints by using its MapShare feature. This GPS device can be paired with your smartphone or Tablet.
The DeLorme Inreach Explorer is water-resistant, impact-resistant, and dustproof. This best handheld GPS for elk hunting is very responsive and has a bright display that can be easily seen even in direct sunlight. The amazing battery life of this product makes it a unique device.
- Dimensions: The dimensions of the device are 2.4 x 1 x 5.9 inches
- Weight: Its weight is 7 ounces
- Battery Life: It has 100 hours of battery life
- Waterproof: It also has waterproof and dustproof features
- Accuracy: The accuracy of GPS is +/- 5 meters
- Impact Resistance: This Best GPS for Hunting is Impact-resistant.
- Compass: It has a Digital Compass.
- Coverage: The 100% Global Satellite Coverage.
- Maps: This Handheld GPS comes with Easy-to-follow Maps.
- Navigation: It also has Accurate and Reliable Navigation.
- SOS Feature: This Best GPS for Hunting has Interactive SOS feature.
Pros and Cons of DeLorme InReach Explorer
Handheld Hunting GPS (Garmin Oregon 650t)
A world-class hunting GPS by the Garmin family is Oregon 650t. This model utilizes both GLONASS and GPS satellite for more accurate tracking. For better mapping and positioning this handheld GPS has built-in preloaded TOPO U.S. 100K maps and worldwide base map. Now you can add more maps in your device easily.
Its 3 inches, brighter, and impact resistance touchscreen display allows you to use it even in sunlight. Now you don’t need to take a camera with you because the built-in 8-megapixel autofocus digital camera of this GPS for Hunters provides you clear geotagged photos. It has a dual battery system that allows you to use the traditional AA batteries or built-in rechargeable battery.
Some of the most appealing features of this best Gps for hunting are built-in 3-axis electronic compass with an accelerometer, saves an unlimited number of geocaches, and 1-touch image capture and waypoint marking. You can share your tracks, waypoints, routes and geocaches faster than other hunting GPS devices.
- Touch Screen: Comes with Multi-touch touchscreen display.
- Dimensions: Its Physical dimensions are 2.4 x 4.5 x 1.3 Inches.
- Resolution: The Display resolution is 240 x 400 pixels
- Camera: It has 8-megapixel digital zoom camera with flash
- Battery System: This handheld Hunting GPS has a Dual battery system.
- Weight: It weighs only 7.4 oz.
- Memory: Features 4 GB built-in memory with microSD card slot.
- Compass: It comes with the Tilt-compensated 3-axis compass with accelerometer and barometric.
- Bluetooth: This best GPS for Hunting also possesses Bluetooth technology.
- Maps: Preloaded TOPO U.S. 100K maps with base map
Pros and Cons of Garmin Oregon 650t
You might be interested in Binoculars Buying Guide
Handheld GPS (Garmin Inreach Explorer+)
We have already reviewed products by Garmin brand but this GPS for Hunting is also worth your consideration. The Garmin inreach explorer is undoubtedly a useful handheld GPS device for hunters, hikers, rescue workers, and more. Let’s have a look at Garmin Inreach Explorer features, pros, and cons.
This Handheld hunting Device provides you with exciting new features like 100% global Iridium satellite network coverage that enables two-way communication, preloaded DeLorme TOPO maps, and an interactive SOS feature to communicate with 24/7 rescue monitoring center in case of an emergency.
This handheld GPS device allows you to Pair with your mobile phone using the free Earthmate app and share location with your friends and family. It has a built-in digital compass, barometric altimeter, and accelerometer. The inReach weather forecast service tells you about weather forecasts for your current location.
- Dimension: Dimension of this Hunting GPS is 2.7 x 6.5 x 1.5 Inches.
- SOS Feature: Its interactive SOS feature helps you in an emergency.
- Display Type: Display type is transflective color TFT
- Resolution: Its Display resolution is 200 x 265 pixels
- Display Size: The Display size of this best handheld GPS for elk hunting is 1.4W x 1.9H Inches.
- Memory: It has 2GB built-in Memory.
- Waterproof: Rain and splash proof Construction.
- Communication: Two-way communication.
- Coverage: 100% global Iridium satellite coverage.
- Connectivity: You can Pair it with your mobile devices
- Compass: 3-axis compass, altimeter, and accelerometer
- Battery Life: This best handheld GPS for elk hunting has a Long Battery life.
Pros and Cons of Garmin Inreach Explorer+
Why Do You need a Gps for hunting?
It is quite obvious that investing in the best handheld GPS for elk hunting takes your hunting to the next level. Whether you are a veteran or a beginner, hunting GPS is a must-have tool for you. Here are some reasons, why do you need a GPS for Hunting.
- It saves you from getting lost in the jungle or field.
- You can plan your routes in advance and can trace your route back home.
- It could save your life, Some of the hunting GPS devices have an interactive SOS feature which allows you to communicate with the 24/7 rescue monitoring center in case of an emergency.
- Most of the GPS units have Weather forecast feature which allows you to plan your hunting according to weather condition.
- Some of the Modern units have built-in camera feature, now you don’t need to carry the camera with you.
- It allows you to communicate with your family and friends and can share your tracks, waypoints, and routes.
- It also allows you to mark the points of interests in the field for future reference.
- Handheld Hunting GPS units are built to withstand all weather conditions.
Things to keep in mind while buying an Elk Hunting Gps
A handheld GPS is a must-have tool for your hunting trip. It not only enables you to preplan your hunting trip but also saves your life in case of an emergency. There are many Hunting GPS units by different brands are available on today’s market. To Select the best handheld GPS for elk hunting, Here are some of the main things to consider.
- Satellite reception
- Input methods
- Screen display quality
- Mapping software
- Weight and Size
- Type of compass
- Waterproof and Shockproof
- No of Maps
- SOS Feature
Reception is the ability of the GPS unit to gather data from a signal source. Most of the hunting GPS units on the market use the world-renowned US GPS system. There are devices which use GLONASS system designed and developed by Russia. The GPS devices which use both US GPS system and GLONASS system are also available on the market.
A GPS unit usually uses 24 satellites and can work 24 hours a day. The accuracy of your position depends upon the number of satellites present in that particular area. Some of the units have better reception than others. The larger the antenna of the Hunting GPS unit, the faster will be the satellite reception.
Generally, Handheld GPS devices have two type of controls, either a touchscreen or buttons. Both input methods have their own pros and cons so you must select carefully according to your needs. In our opinion, the touchscreen input method is far better than buttons. Because it is quite faster and user-friendly.
Screen Display Quality
Another factor to consider while picking the best handheld GPS for elk hunting is the quality of its screen display. First of all, the screen should be easily readable in the direct sun, under heavy clouds, and at night. Secondly, the screen should be large enough to give you sizeable images. Thirdly, the interface of the screen should be user-friendly.
It is great to select the GPS for hunting with a microSD card slot which can significantly increase the Storage space. The microSD card slot enables you to save the data, Topo maps, Points of Interest, and updates.
Every Hunting GPS unit has its own mapping software. Most of the Brands claim that they have a better mapping software. The easiest way to check the advantages of a software over another one is by checking its capabilities and features. Some of the important things for checking the mapping software are listed below.
Are your software enables you to share your waypoints or route via Google Earth? Can you use your social networks to let your friends and family where you’re going? Are your hunting GPS unit able to work with different devices? The last but not least, whether your device is compatible with open-source mapping software or not?
Weight and Size
The best handheld GPS for elk hunting should be small, compact, and lightweight. Because it is easy to carry the small and lightweight GPS device with you on your hunting trip. The Large and bulky GPS units are more difficult to carry. Now it’s up to you that whether you select the small unit or the large unit.
Type of Compass
A hunting GPS unit has either an electronic compass or a differential compass. These compasses help you to locate your current bearings. The electronic compass is far better than the differential compass. The electronic compass allows you to check your bearings without movement on your part, which is a desirable feature while you are preparing for a shot.
The speed of the GPS hunting unit matters a lot. The startup speed and the processing speed of the GPS device should be fast so that you can get your directions and the messages in the shortest time. Always pick the GPS unit having good speed.
Waterproof and Shockproof
The hunting GPS should be versatile so that it gives you 100 percent performance in any condition. Therefore, you should select the handheld GPS device having waterproof and shockproof features.
Another important factor to look for the best handheld GPS for elk hunting is Proximity alarm. It is an innovative feature. It enables you to mark your area of interest to receive an alarm beep every time you enter that particular radius.
Some GPS units come with replaceable AAA batteries while others have rechargeable lithium ions batteries. Most innovative hunting GPS units have both the rechargeable lithium ions and replaceable AAA batteries. The battery life of the GPS device is very important for you in the field where you don’t have an access to a charging point. So always select the hunting GPS that uses the lithium-ion battery as a primary source and the AAA battery for backup.
No of Maps
The units which come with a higher number of maps are more convenient. Some of the GPS units are for the United States and the Canada only. You can upgrade the maps by paying a yearly subscription fee. You can download the maps from many websites that offer maps and satellite imagery for free. The paid maps are comfortable to use compared to the free ones.
The SOS feature is very important and may save your life in an adverse condition. The interactive SOS feature allows you to communicate with the 24/7 rescue monitoring center in case of an emergency. It has an innovative feature and the new hunting GPS devices have this amazing feature. There are units in our list which have this SOS feature so always pick the unit having SOS button.
One of the most important factors to consider while picking the best handheld gps for elk hunting is the Price. Most of the GPS devices available on today’s market are cheaper than two hundred dollars. But you should keep in your mind that Quality comes with the price. We recommend you to select the handheld unit having premium features regardless of its price.